Founded by Sonia Valdizan in 1991, Sparkles! originated as a home-based, family day care business. The operation started as a small county-regulated business with one child, and quickly grew into a state regulated facility by 1994. This rapid growth required a larger facility, and the search began for a new location to accommodate a day care center. In 1999, we opened our first center in Fairfax, Virginia and have now grown to multiple locations in the Northern Virginia area. Our hard work and dedication to providing quality child care continues to reflect as we “grow and glow”.
Our company began with the vision to create an unparalleled learning and growth environment in the childcare industry. In doing so, we strive to earn trust with the families that we serve, and to develop partnerships in the community. Our roots in home-based day care continue to be evident in the Sparkles! culture of today, always making our primary goal to be a family support system by supplementing parenting efforts and supporting the working parent. We want to be the best as we work to provide our families with the highest quality child care.
In 2016, Sparkles! announced its “Building Tomorrow’s Leaders” initiative, which works in parallel with our use of Creative Curriculum. This initiative encourages development in five key social skills that are necessary for children to excel today, tomorrow, and for many years to come. Creative Curriculum is a research-based, research-proven set of resources designed to produce creative, confident thinkers that are ready for school and life success.
As Sparkles! looks to the future, we continue to explore innovative ideas to be a better support system for our families and our community, becoming an integral nurturing and educational part of your child’s life.
Our philosophy at Sparkles! is based on love and respect for the individual child and family. We believe that children thrive in an environment where they can explore new opportunities, confidently experiment with ideas, and build on their skills. We believe children learn through play and hands-on experiences. We are interracial, interfaith, and serve children from many ethnic backgrounds. We have no religious affiliation, but we do try to encourage the awareness of the connectedness of all living things through reflective periods.
The following goals reflect our philosophy:
- To nurture and protect children while separated from their parents
- To provide a safe, loving and stimulating environment.
- To help each family maintain their child’s good health and promote physical and emotional development.
- To promote a child’s self-worth and self-esteem.
- To foster social, emotional, and cognitive development.
- To provide a support system for the families that we serve.
- To teach values such as honesty, respect for all living things, forgiveness and wisdom so that the child may learn to, love themselves, each other and the world around them and help develop the strength of character to make morally sound decisions.
- To develop their “interpersonal Communication” and leadership skills so that they may become tomorrow’s leaders in business, industry and the community.
We like to think of our center as a sanctuary – a safe place. It is our belief that in a safe, healthy environment, children freely follow their natural instincts to learn and explore.
When children are away from their parents, we provide them with a safe and loving environment where they can feel secure. We feel that this environment is only achieved through strong partnership with parents, so we encourage and maintain frequent communication, and create committees to offer parents deeper involvement on their child’s care.
The Sparkles! Promise:
- We will partner with you to best serve your child’s needs.
- We will provide a stimulating learning environment.
- We will help strengthen your family values.
- We will provide a safe and loving environment for your child to thrive.
- We will give your child the same kind of care we want for our own children.