At this stage, teachers introduce an increasing complexity of problem-solving activities, advanced verbal communication techniques and more intricate group activities. The program also encourages children’s natural inquisitiveness, allowing them to take things apart and put them back together to learn how they work.
At Sparkles! we provide the guidance and tools children need to explore and discover the world around them, building lessons around Creative Curriculum and these five key areas of development:
- Communication/Language/Literacy. Using regular plurals, finding and matching objects, counting sequentially, using longer sentences, identifying labels and signs, associating word sounds with letter shapes.
- Social Skills/Emotional Development. Showing self control and following requests, waiting their turn during activities and conversations, imitating behavior, sharing and cooperating with others, using manners.
- Explorations to Learning. Sequencing familiar activities, recognizing shapes and colors, grouping things into categories, identifying left from right, top from bottom, understanding simple math concepts.
- Purposeful Motor Skills. Jumping in place and over objects, balancing on one foot, throwing and catching a ball, using scissors to cut paper.
- Sensory Organization. Transitioning to new activities, attending to an activity for 15-20 minutes, using different textured surfaces in activities.
Sparkles! also encourages the critical thinking, problem solving and team building skills needed by tomorrow’s leaders. Learning experiences are aligned with kindergarten readiness standards established by Virginia’s Foundation Blocks for Early Learning, Common Core State Standards (Virginia’s Standards of Learning- SOL’s) and Head Start Child Development, so that your child reaches kindergarten prepared for educational success.
Parents can easily track their child’s development through our regular progress reports, student portfolios and parent-teacher conferences. Additionally, we offer resources such as secure video streaming and the BrightWheel app to make sure parents never miss a minute of their child’s day.
Contact us or request a tour to learn about the additional features of our Pre-K Program. We can also provide a complete list of our evaluating criteria for each of the five development areas outlined above.